Our Food System Coalition is commonly known as a Food Council, but we think of ourselves more broadly because we do more than recommend and advocate for policy. Also, we are a coalition of partners working together to improve our food system.
What do Food Councils do?
The work of food councils looks different in every community. *In general, food councils:
- Engage experts to better understand the food environment.
- Connect decision-makers and stakeholders to align programs and initiatives.
- Educate leaders and the community.
- Recommend program and policy change to affect the local food system.
In addition, our Coalition:
- Identifies gaps in the system and works with members and communities to fill those gaps.
- Provides technical assistance to food system stakeholders to strengthen our local food system and provide greater access to healthy food.